Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Clam Fritters

I got this recipe many years ago while on a camping trip from the late Charley (Chicken) Fry. The clams were fresh because we had pulled them out of the bay that afternoon. It is especially memorable to me because when I got finished cooking I went to take the skillet off the stove and forgot that it was cast iron. I burnt the piss out of my hand. Lucky for me I was full of Dutch courage and it did not hurt too much until the next day. This is all that you will need.
First finely chop a whole onion.
Now mix together one egg, a cup of flour, 2 cans of clams, and the onion. Season with pepper.
Stir this into a batter.
Heat enough Canola oil over medium heat to cover a skillet. Add one heaping spoon full of batter to the skillet.
Fry on both sides until golden brown. Remove to a paper towel covered platter. Taste the fritter and correct the seasonings. When you've got it right finish them up.
And now you have the perfect food for dipping in your chowder.

1 comment: